In his Q4 recap, Wayne Gillespie, Director & Senior Portfolio Strategist, provides his perspectives on a standout year in the markets and outlines his expectations for growth in 2022.
Here are a few highlights:
- North American markets experienced above-average returns in 2021
- Economic growth in 2022 will depend less on government stimulus and more on the underlying economy
- The economy is in the early-to-mid stage of the current cycle, a period typically associated with market growth
- Inflation is expected to remain above pre-pandemic levels leading central banks to reduce stimulus
- Yields for fixed income are expected to rise with the markets cementing expectations for five rate increases in 2022
- IPC’s Portfolio Management Team continues to favour a diversified stance while maintaining exposure to strategies that can protect against volatility